Thursday, August 18, 2011

Always Something There to Remind Me

"I don't think I'll ever stop missing Vienna. Everyday, there's always something there to remind me."


Side Note: Those words reminded me of this song. I can't stop singing it now. It was stuck in my head and soon it will be stuck in yours. You're welcome! Enjoy :D
Naked Eyes - Always Something There

Today I got to catch up with a dear friend of mine, my mentor/former supervisor at my old job, who was one of my biggest fans and encouragers in going to Vienna. Having had study abroad in undergrad and grad school, he was one of the biggest advocates for me to accept this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. While talking with him and sharing stories, memories, and my experiences from abroad; I couldn't help but smile. Reminiscing about my first winter, the chaos/adventure experienced in my 8-day backpack trip throughout Italy, highlights of Uni, and yada yada ya. Him having studied in Italy, it was nice to share similar experiences/memories in that beautiful country.  And when one, such as him, knows what you're talking about and is able to recognize/label the name to my poor descriptions of churches/parks/museums...it's refreshing.

After saying "adeau", on the drive home I just couldn't stop thinking about Vienna, evidently as you are reading this now. The conversations spurred many thoughts and memories in my head, positively re-stimulating my brain I suppose. I don't know why...I just thought that this would pass...and I eventually would get used to American life (getting there) and eventually forget about Vienna (not even close to being there). But I don't think that it so...for those, fellow study-abroaders/travelers, in my case as well. I don't think this is a switch one can turn on/off but it has left more like a permanent engraving in my brain. I conclude the following hypothesis: I am indeed a different and changed person from having studied abroad in Vienna. Thus it is highly difficult and impossible for me to resort back to my old nature.  To my dear and loving family and friends...bear with me.

In other news, (I don't like negativity but I have to get this off my chest) I find it rude and disappointing
 when sometimes some of your friends ask about trip but don't care to hear more than a sentence.  I find it incredibly hard and challenging to summarize five months of adventure, memories, stories, travels, and experiences into one sentence.  It urkes me to just settle with the standard..."It was amazinggg!'.  The lack of originality in that sentence has led to my desire to create the Reader's Digest version of my trip.  I'm still working on it, seeing I will probably be needing to repeat this story in job interviews, my ginormous family reunion, and et cetera.

In lieu of my never-ending nostalgia...lately, when I am unable to fall asleep, I begin to picture my old room, Mariahilferstraße, Schwedenplatz, Stephansdome, MQ, the streets around the city center, Uni, ubahns/busses, etc...hoping I will dream about it. That way I can still see Vienna once again....even if only it's just a dream. 

(PS. In case you forgot or didn't know, I am rather corny, pathetic, and sentimental. Lol. This entire blog post may seem a bit all-over the place, but bear with me. It's comprised of rather free-flowing thoughts, I apologize for the lack of a well-structured blog.)

I indeed I miss traveling awfully much.  There are not enough words I can use to express my excitement, joy, and zeal for returning to visit next Fall. Until then...whenever I hear this song, (link above), I will forever think of Vienna and my endless love for that beautiful city.  Vienna is not a city you forget or get over.  There will always be something that reminds me. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment